Why is the Tax ID/Personal ID required?

Some countries' customs authorities require importers to provide their tax ID number (for businesses) or personal identification number (for individuals). When you enter your ID number on the Seeed checkout page, it will only be used to fill in the waybill for couriers and will not be used for any other purpose. It will not be shown on the package or any other documents. This list outlines the regulations from various regions and will be updated as information becomes available.

United States 

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) requires business entities to provide an Employer Identification Number (EIN) and individuals may be required to provide their Social Security Number (SSN) to import goods into the US. 

Couriers including DHL and FedEx utilize customs brokers to help with import/export documentation, and process this electronically to speed up the customs clearance process. The SSN number is not always needed, however, if not available, this can cause delays to shipments so customs brokers often ask that all shipments provide this number just in case. As with all countries, the tax number will only be used to fill in the waybill and will not be printed on any other documentation. Official sources from CBP, DHL and FedEx have been included below.

After receiving feedback on individual's insecurity in revealing their SSN to third parties, we have made the tax number optional for packages to the US. However, please be warned that this may cause delays to your delivery and you may be contacted by the courier company directly to provide the tax number. 

European Union

Businesses: Economic operators in EU countries need to provide an EORI number for moving goods to EU nations from outside of the EU. 

Individuals: Some EU member states require an EORI number or a personal ID number when importing goods for private use. Please check with your specific country's customs authorities for more information. If your country does not specify any number, please enter the number for some form of national ID for reference (e.g. passport or drivers' license). 


For Brazil, the tax ID number must be provided in the form:
CNPJ (for companies): XX.XXX.XXX/XXXX-XX
CPF (for individuals): XXX.XXX.XXX/XX


From August 1st 2021, the NWPW number is required for companies moving goods to and from Indonesia. Private Individuals may provide one of the following numbers:
• NIK ID Number (Nomor Induk Kependudukan), for Indonesian residents
• Indonesian driver's license number, for Indonesian or non-Indonesian residents
• Passport number, for non-Indonesian residents only.

Last modified 2021/8/24

Feedback and Knowledge Base